In conjunction with the OSC, WCRP is also conducting a dedicated two day Symposium for Early and Mid-Career Researchers(EMCR)1 on 22 October 2023 - one day before the main OSC start date (pre-OSC EMCR day) and on 28 October 2023, the day after the OSC ends (post-OSC EMCR day). In addition to these two dedicated sessions, a strong EMCR presence and involvement are expected during the main conference. The Symposium is hosted by the African Institute of Mathematical Science (AIMS) Rwanda and is collaboratively being planned with EMCR networks.
EMCRs engagement goals during OSC
- Share the main outcomes of the pre-OSC event at relevant OSC sessions.
- Enhance EMCR prominence at the main conference, e.g., chair plenary sessions, propose specific sessions, convene/co-convene parallel sessions, organize town hall discussions, evaluate posters and student talks (as members of the evaluation committee), and rapporteur for particular sessions.
- Increase EMCR visibility through flash talks, discussions around poster sessions, and more visibility within existing EMCRs networks.
- 'Table Topics' evenings on 24 and 25 October: EMCRs can choose tables with topics of their interest and discuss them with experts and peers. The topics will be announced soon.
- Establish contacts with senior experts.
- Highlight EMCR work, e.g., with poster/presentation judging.
- Discuss how EMCRs can actively engage with WCRP working groups and Lighthouse Activities (LHAs).
EMCR Symposium Scientific Organizing Committee
Carla Gulizia* - University of Buenos Aires (Argentina). Faten Bahar*. Gaby Langendijk* - Climate Service Center (Germany). Hindumathi Palanisamy - (WCRP Secretariat). Leandro Diaz* - University of Buenos Aires (Argentina). Mouhamadou Bamba Sylla - African Institute of Mathematical Science (Rwanda). Orly Lachmi - Open University of Israel. Pascale Braconnot - Institut Pierre-Simon Laplace, IPSL (France). Roxy Mathew Koll - Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (India). Shipra Jain* - Centre for Climate Research (Singapore). Sidiki Sanogo - Institute Pierre-Simon Laplace, IPSL (France). Valentina Rabanal* - Young Earth System Scientists (YESS) & Servicio Meteorológico Nacional (SMN) Argentina.
*Young Earth System Scientists (YESS) members.
Day 1: Pre-OSC EMCR Symposium (22 October 2023)
@ Kigali Convention Centre
The pre-OSC EMCR day's primary objectives are to build professional connections between EMCRs and prepare for the main Open Science Conference topics.
|8:30-08:35||Opening of the Symposium
Prof. Dr. Detlef Stammer, Chair WCRP Joint Scientific Committee
|08:35-08:50||Purpose, prospective outcomes of workshop & schedule
Dr. Hindumathi Palanisamy, Scientific officer, WCRP Secretariat
|09:00-09:30||Introduction to the World Climate Research Programme
Dr. Pascale Braconnot, Vice-Chair, WCRP Joint Scientific Committee
|09:30-09:50||Climate Resilience : How EMCRs from Africa are involved?
Dr. Mouhamadou Bamba Sylla, African Institute of Mathematical Sciences (AIMS), Kigali, Rwanda
|09:50-10:15||How do African countries and small states meet their global environmental commitments?
Prof. Maria Ivanova, Northeastern University, Boston, U.S.A.
|10:15 - 10:45||Short break|
|10:45 - 12:30||Break out session on OSC science themes
1). What are key climate research and knowledge gaps in the global South, and how can we advance climate science in and for the global South?
2). How do we create robust climate science information that is used at local scales?
3). How can EMCRs contribute to supporting policy making with climate science and knowledge, during the upcoming decade, also called the "decade of decisions?
|12:30 - 14:00||Lunch break|
|14:00 - 16:00||EMCR Workshop on ‘Effective science communication- from peer-reviewed articles, project proposals to public communication’|
|16:00 - 16:30||Short break|
|16:30 - 18:00||EMCR OSC poster presentation discussion|
DAY 2: Post-OSC EMCR event (28 October 2023)
EMCRs to regroup and discuss various concrete outcomes of the OSC.
- Brainstorm on a possible article based on the outcomes as well as how WCRP can help connect climate science and society through the EMCRs.
- Define a workplan, team and set deadlines on the plan.
- Discussions on ensuring active participation and integration of EMCRs within WCRP- examples through some short-term challenges/projects under the WCRP Light House Activities, etc.
|12:00 onwards||Meet up and lunch discussions with AIMS graduate students|
|13:30-15:00||Reflecting on the outcomes of the WCRP OSC and EMCRs’ role in WCRP|
|15:00 - 15:15||Short break|
|15:15 - 17:15||Brainstorm Session: Article on how WCRP can help connect climate science and society through the EMCRs|
|17:15- 17:30||Wrap up of the Symposium|
|From 18:00||Dinner organized by AIMS